Windows best practices

This topic is archived because there were no new posts for more than 12 months. The historical information on these pages is provided for information only, and may no longer be relevant!

Please, don't base your purchase decisions on information provided at this page, and consider starting a new topic instead

avatar bbegy Aug 5. 2011. 8:17 pm
We have a couple of leased Windows boxes and want to know what is the best setup. Apache for Windows? IIS7 with php support? or Cygwin?

What is the best way to do this?
avatar Ilija S. Staff Aug 5. 2011. 11:27 pm
Both Apache and IIS work well, and you should pick the one that you are most comfortable with. I personally didn't work with Cygwin on Windows, so I can't comment on that.
avatar Rok Meglić Dev Aug 6. 2011. 6:39 am
bbegy, I would really recommend apache on Windows. It's way easier to setup and better handles php then IIS.
avatar Ilija S. Staff Aug 7. 2011. 10:49 pm
Microsoft worked quite a bit on IIS and PHP combo (check out http://php.iis.net/).
avatar bbegy Aug 8. 2011. 3:47 pm
is there a recommended/supported best practice for windows?
avatar Ilija S. Staff Aug 8. 2011. 3:59 pm
Hello,

There is a guide on getting the platform, as well as activeCollab, up and running under Windows Server 2008 with IIS7. Check it out here.

Since we are not Windows server administrators (we use Linux, Mac OS and FreeBSD for hosting and development, but not Windows), we can only provide information on how to get the system up and running based on recommendations offered by Microsoft. For any specific use cases and details, please consult documentation provided by Microsoft or experienced Windows administrators.
avatar philip_devx Pro Aug 9. 2011. 4:27 pm
The guide that Ilija referenced is very good. You can also check out my description (without any screenshots) of "Setting up Windows Server 2008 R2 IIS/PHP5 web server for activeCollab" at: http://www.activecollab.com/forums/topic/6321/

If you have a choice of Windows version, this is easier in Windows Server 2008 than Windows Server 2003.

Try activeCollab for 30 days

Instant access and no credit card required

.manageprojects.com